Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sit

My aunt says that where you
stand depends on where you
sit.

I don’t get it, I say,
confused.

Auntie asks,
You know the girl who always cries in class?

Yes, I say, thinking how she is so
babyish.

Her parents are getting divorced.

Oh, I say,
feeling bad for her.

And you know that boy who
always pushes or hits you?

Yes, I say,
thinking how that boy is such a meanie.

He likes you.

Oh, I say, feeling a bit
uncomfortable.

And you know how your dad laughs like
a monkey sometimes?

Yes I say, thinking how he can be
so embarrassing.

He does that when he’s nervous.

Oh, I say,
thinking about how anxious he can get.


And you know the girl who
always gets perfect in everything?

Yes, I say,
thinking how annoying she can be.

She loses sleep worrying about
everything.

Oh, I say,
thinking how awful that must be.

And you know the boy who always
blames you for something he does?

Yes, I say, thinking how
self-centered he can be.

He has health issues.

Oh, I say,
thinking how hard it must be for him.

You know the teacher who always
criticizes you?

Yes, I say, thinking how she can be
a meanie, too.

She does that because she knows
you can do better.

Oh, I say,
thinking how sort of nice that is.

And then I tell my aunt
that maybe there are times
when it’s a good idea
to move chairs

Sit somewhere else, you know?

Fanny

3 comments:

Adam Gelmon said...

Fanny,

It's been said that the best way to get to understand someone is to walk in their shoes; your poem reminds us of this ever-important idea.

Thanks for this.

-Mr. G.

Anonymous said...

Fanny, this is a truly thoughtful and beautifully written poem. Your message is important for all of us.

Ms. St.Helene

Aviva said...

great poem fanny!!