Monday, June 23, 2008

Shalom from Isreal!

Hi everybody,

 

Sam here, posting from the holy land.  Sorry I haven’t posted sooner, but I’ve been really busy, and I still am, so I will quickly tell you the highlights of my trip so far. 

 

My trip started with me catching up on my movie viewing on the 17-hour plane ride.  Then, for the first 10 days of my trip I met just about every cousin I have in Israel (which is about 70 cousins!).  In between the breakfasts, lunches and dinners with my cousins I also made it to Masada, the Dead Sea, the old city and the Kotel.  I also got to see a synagogue that my great, great grandfather built. 

 

The day I hiked Masada, unfortunately, it was about 42 degrees Celcius, so it was a challenge to keep hydrated.  Floating in the Dead Sea was also fun.  I went to the Kotel with my grandfather.  It was really interesting because he lived in Israel before it was a state, so his perspective was very different then mine.  I learned a lot from my grandpa when he was telling me about the synagogue his grandfather build.  I went and saw it.  It’s small but very nice and still used every day. 

 

After the ten days of intense family, I took a vacation from my vacation and went to Eilat for a week.  Eilat is at the bottom of Israel and is right on the border of Jordan and Egypt.  Just as I were approaching Eilat, I saw anti-missile missiles pointed towards Iran.   Eilat really fun.  The first big thing I did there was shoot a sniper rifle at a shooting range, and my dad shot a glock (pistol).  The next day I went snorkeling, it was really fun and there were some amazing fish.  On the last day I was in Eilat it was 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit)!  I spent most of that day trying not to melt.

 

That brings me to today. Today I went to see the Israel Museum.  It was very cool.  They had a miniature model of the old city during the time just before the second temple was destroyed (66 C.E.).  Then I went to see the Dead Sea scrolls, the exhibit just put on display a scroll found near the Dead Sea, which is from about 120 B.C.E. 

 

That is all the time I have, so bye and good luck on the masterpiece theater.

 

-Sam

1 comment:

Adam Gelmon said...

Dear Sam and Family,

Sounds like an amazing trip so far! Israel is such a special place and I miss it just reading about it.

Masterpieces Theatre went very well, and you were definitely missed.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing throughout the summer.