Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Cat Poem Response by: Marc L.

Hey All,
These are my thoughts on "Cat"...

Lots of sensory images whizzed into my mind while reading this poem. I would like to share one or two with you!

1) "and a huge ruthless tooth in gory jaw". I could really capture a mental picture of a lion roaring, because I have actually seen one in South Africa. As soon as Tolkien mentioned a lion my body flew right back to the game reserve, and I was standing next to a ferocious lion!

2) "fierce and free". I kept on thinking of this grey slimy cat that roamed around in a dark back alley of a restaurant. I have no idea where this came from, but maybe it was because I was recently watching "Stuart Little", and in the movie there was a cat like that.

Just the brilliance of this poem and the ridiculous rhyme scheme over whelmed me. I think if anyone can't find a good book to read or a good author, this poem will get them hooked on J.R.R. Tolkien for life!

Marc L.

No comments: