Monday, February 4, 2008

Response on Love That Cat/Man and Dog

I once had a cat, her name was Sasha. She was a Persian cat, with long hair. Only I can't really connect because she was our cat when I was 3 years old, so I don't remember her very well. We had to give her away because she scratched and peed on everybody.
This poem had a lot of sensory images, here I list some:"velvet-black fur," "creamy couch," "white tipped paws," "glowing eyes," "I stroke his soft coat." However there wasn't a lot of similies/metaphors. The only alliteration was:"creamy couch."
There was no rhyme scheme in Love That Cat. The poem was free verse, and had 1 long stanza.
I can imagine the love between Stoltz and his cat because of the ending.
Now about Man and Dog. Man and Dog is when a man and his dog are sitting in the park, and Sasoon writes how it's only him and his dog.
I can't connect at all to this poem because I have never been alone in a deserted park with anything.
There was very few poetic devices, however one good sensory image is:"alone with stone and grass and tree," I can imagine myself in a park alone with a dog.
There is a rhyme scheme, line 1 and 2 rhyme, and line 3 and 4 rhyme. This poem is free verse, and has 3 stanzas. The lines were mid-sized. There is excellent cadence.
The cat poem and the dog poem were similar because they were about their love for their pets. They were also different because one was about a cat, the other about a dog.
The cat poem is a 4.5/5, the dog poem is a 4.95/5.

-Bram 6B

p.s. Please comment on this response.

1 comment:

Adam Gelmon said...

Good detail from the poems in this response, Bram.

-Mr. G.