Thursday, January 15, 2009

Canes Enable Response

1) What are your thoughts on the presentation?

My thoughts on the presentation was that it was a very good one and that you learn a lot about canes and how they can be used. For example, there is the umbrella cane. It is a cane on one side and an umbrella on the other! Neat huh? Also the canes looked really cool. The word transportation sheet was kind of boring because it wasn’t something that interested me.

2) What did you learn?

I learned that there are a lot of people who are having a hard time out there in the world moving around and that we are lucky not to have to use a cane, wheelchair or crutches for the rest of our entire lives. I also learned that canes could be used for more than just walking. They used to be used to store liquor and the like and was also a symbol of authority (power).

3) What surprised you?

What surprised me the most was the weight of his prosthetic leg. It seemed to weigh 5 lbs. or more. Also, when I first saw him coming in, he looked like he had 2 legs. But when he came closer, I saw that on leg was a different colour that the other. Then, it hit me. He didn’t have 2 legs, but one real and one removable leg. He also gave a very good performance.

4) What are your thoughts on making places more accessible?

One idea that went through my head is making everybody “handicapped,” so that all areas will be accessible all the time. Another way that we could make places more accessible is by replacing all stairs with ramps so that it makes it easier on everyone to get around with heavy objects like suitcases. Or we could just get an elevator especially for the disabled for every set of staircases that are really big.

No comments: