Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Giver Journal #2

The Giver Chapter 2:

Q: How are jobs or “Assignments” chosen for twelves? What are your thoughts on this process? What job might be “Assigned” to you based on the talents, skills and interests you have shown over the past years?

A: In the ceremony of Twelves, jobs are chosen by what your interests are. The Elders observed the kids, and decide on something that they believe the kids would enjoy and be good at. In the story, Jonas father was chosen to be a Nurturer because as a kid he spent a lot of his time with the newborn kids.

I find the process kind of unfair. The kids don’t get to choose their jobs; the Elders choose them for them. Some people may argue and say that it’s good, because their “Assignments” are based on the kid’s interests. I disagree because it doesn’t let the kids choose their own jobs; it makes them do a certain thing. I don’t like the idea of it, but in the book it sounds like it works well for them, because all of the kids are happy with what they get.

I may be assigned in something that has to do with math, because it’s pretty easy for me and I enjoy it.

No comments: