Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Poetry Responce On "Execution"

Hey everyone heres my response on execution:

This poem really blew me away with all it's poetic devices. There were smilies like: "He had cancer stenciled into his face like pencil marks from the sun". There were metaphors like: "He had cancer stenciled into his face" and "The board was a spiderweb of options and counters, Blasts and sweeps, a constellation of players shining under his favorite word, execution". I also thought that in the ending when Edward Hirch was writing about how the other team pummeled their team, is a metaphor of how cancer beats you up and has a machine like fury that kills you.

This poem was free verse and had only one stanza. I could not really find cadence in this poem because there were a lot of ideas (but that does not mean it was a bad poem) . I noticed that every line started with a capital letter, at first I thought it was because Edward Hirsh tried to make every line powerful. Then afterwards I asked my teacher why it was like that and he said that most poems start with a capital letter in every line and it does not mean trying to emphasize.

I could not really relate to this poem because no one i know had had cancer. Even though I could not relate to this poem, I can still understand what cancer can do to you. This coach was an amazing coach who taught his team everything he knew. He gave his life to football and despised losing. And then it happened, he was shot by cancer, there was nothing he could do. He would never be the same again because that's what cancer does to you, it has power, with deadly, impersonal authority, machine-like fury, perfect execution.

- ari

No comments: