Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Tzedakah

Tzedakah

When I first thought of Tzedakah I thought of donating and charity; but now that I have read over “Tzedakah Giving Justly” I realize that we as people have a responsibility to give Tzedakah whether we choose to or not.

Charity vs. Tzedakah

First I will debate about charity. Charity is only about donations and giving money to funds to help people in need. Sure it is a good cause for the right reasons but it has no meaning compared to Tzedakah. Charity means “from the heart” but how opposite can calling up a charity and donating over $300 be? The answer is obviously opposite, because you only do it in a good mood and from the brain not from the heart. The more I started reading the more I began to appreciate Tzedakah and unappreciated charity.

Now my debate forTzedakah. Tzedakah is a way of helping people in need by doing more than just donating but by doing mitzvahs to help as well. We all give Tzedakah even if we don’t know we were at all. For example a couple weeks ago on American Idol they had a telethon to raise money for kids in Africa. Everybody who called to raise money was giving Tzedakah without awareness. Tzedakah is also great because there is so many ways to give Tzedakah: walkathons, bikathons, telethons, phonathons raffles and many more ways. The mood, age or ability doesn’t matter to give Tzedakah, which is why I like, Tzedakah more charity.

The booklet has taught me so much about Tzedakah and how the Jews have been giving it for so long that I wonder if it would be the 11th commandment if we had one!

Fanny:)

No comments: