Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Canes Enable Presantation

The Canes Enable presentation was very inspiring to me. It taught me many interesting things that I had not known before. Luckily, I have had the experience of working with Debby on this program last year for our Tikkun Olam project along with Alex. This helped me connect and feel like I had known a lot about Canes Enable during the presentation. I hope that Debby will join us again for the next part of her workshop.

Throughout this presentation I learned many new and amazing things. I found the umbrella cane a very neat invention, although there are some problems with it. I learned that handicapped is a derogatory term. Lawrence, was the highlight of the presentation for me. He showed us that it is possible to do all the things we do with only one leg. He told us that he had just recently skied four kilometres! Lawrence taught me that if you really put your mind to something, you can pursue it even with a disability. I also learned about how difficult and expensive it is to get a prosthetic leg. In my opinion, they should not be so expensive because families may be in need of one but might not be able to afford it. I know that Lawrence will succeed in anything he chooses to do.

What surprised me the most in this presentation is how open Lawrence answered each of the questions, even if they were extremely personal. It seemed to me that he no longer felt ashamed of his one leg but instead happy that he was unique and can do so many inspiring things. Lawrence was very nice in taking of his prosthetic leg and passing it around for us to see what it looked like and how it operated.

I feel that making things more accessible is a very important thing to do. People with disabilities should be treated equal to normal people; more accessible places are desperatly needed. People in wheelchairs really have a tough time getting around, but people with out disabilities take all the access we have for granted. I aspire that soon every thing will be just as accessible for a wheelchair user or anyone with any kind of disability as it is for us.

-Aviva

No comments: