Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Canes Enable Workshop

Yesterday’s workshop was a very educational and exciting lesson. I learnt many things that I did not know about canes and other things as well. One of the things I learnt was the name of forearm crutches. Another thing I learnt was that handicapped is a derogatory term. I found it very interesting to look at all the kinds of canes people made and to see how they would be helpful to different individuals and I thought that the cane umbrella was very cool. I also enjoyed that second part when we went into a big circle around the canes. Exploring all the ways of transportations from A-Z was fun as well because I had never explored some of the ideas and topics that were brought up.

I think Lawrence is a very inspirational person. I found it was amazing that he was able to get over what happened to him and pursue with what he loves best. I was able to connect with him well because we have a lot in common. He loves skiing and dancing and those are two of my favourite sports.

When I walk around I do not always notice how lucky I am and consider how other people might get around. I think that our school is not very accessible and the narrow cramped hallways do not help anyone at all, especially people who do not get around the same way as I do. I think that a good start to making our school more accessible would be changing our stairs and widening our hallways. From now on I think I will pay closer attention to the accessibility of buildings.

Adina Landsberg 7A

No comments: