Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Canes Enable Presentation

Canes Enable Presentation

The “Canes Enable” presentation really moved me and made me realize how lucky I am. I thought that this was the perfect time to start showing us these presentations, because after all there are kids younger than us with disabilities, and living with challenges. I thought Lawrence was a great person to bring in because of all his achievements and because he was so open to talk about his disability. I also thought that Debby was a very good speaker and that she led the program well.

I learned that disability does not prevent sport, dance or art. I learned all about the challenges that come with having a disability. I learned that at a very young age bad things can happen and you have to be careful with whatever you do. I also learned all about people with prosthetic legs and all about prosthetic legs.

One of the things that surprised me was how fast Lawrence took off his leg, and how he was so comfortable with taking it off. Lawrence also surprised me with how well he could balance/walk/dance on one leg. A was so surprised to see all the beautiful paintings on the canes. Lastly I was surprised to hear of all the many problems one with a disability might come across.

Firstly I think it is crazy how inaccessible our school is and how inaccessible our city is compared to others in Canada and the world. I think that this is a major problem that should be brought up more in schools across Canada. I also think that if more people of aware of this problem more people will help.

Marc L. 7B

2 comments:

Adam Gelmon said...

An excellent and thoughtful response, Marc!

Unknown said...

THANKS!