Friday, May 21, 2010

book talk

Death, slavery, betrayal, loss and hope. Unfortunately, Isabel experiences all these things as she faces the hardships of slavery. She is a black girl growing up in (place/year) and faces things that no person should endure.

Hi, my name is Rachel and today I will be speaking to you about the book, "Chains" by Laurie Halse Anderson.

After losing her parents to slavery and death, Isabel takes on the role of taking care of her little sister Ruth. They are both sold as slaves to the Lockton family. Isabel has to overcome many obstacles as she and her sister begin their journey towards freedom, including a war. Every detail of this thrilling story had me wanting more. I felt this way from the moment I read the first paragraph (read first paragraph)

(Read back of book.)

You can find this book in the school library, Chapters and Kids Books.

I recommend this book to people between grades 5-7 who like adventure as well as sad historic fiction.

No comments: