Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Blazin Soccer Dogs

The Blazin’ Soccer Dogs is a soccer team that was started by Abbe Gates and her daughter Sadie. What makes this soccer team unique is the story behind the founding of the team. “Last September the 11 year old girl with Down Syndrome was getting ready to play soccer when a coach cut her as someone who could not help the team” – The Province Newspaper. Sadie’s mom was outraged by this discrimination and promised herself and her daughter that she will start her own soccer team that would include children who have been excluded from sports because of their special needs. Abbe has recruited 31 children for the team along with 18 volunteers which includes myself.

I chose to be a part of this new team because of my love for soccer and because I believe these children with special need deserve just as much fairness as anyone. When my mother told me about this story I felt sympathy for the cause and wanted to get involved. Another reason is because my brother has special needs and my mother works in that area.

Every Saturday since April 5th the Blazin Soccer Dogs practice from 10:00-12:00 am. Every Saturday I go and volunteer for the Blazin Soccer Dogs. There are other young people like myself that are helping teach the kids soccer skills and being their friend by encouraging them and cheering them on. A woman in Vancouver has donated all the uniform and soccer balls. Although this is a great deed its more than donating money that matters. I plan to tell lots of young people to come and volunteer. You can also help other people with special needs who aren’t on the team by getting to know them and developing friendship. This act should not be done out of pity but from a belief that you actually want to be there friend.

No comments: