Tuesday, May 13, 2008

covenant house

Covenant house is a place that helps teenagers that are on the street because of abuse or homelessness or other problems.  Covenant House takes the teens in, gives them a place to stay, gives them food and shelter, and collects toys, games, clothes, and other things that these teenagers need. Covenant House Vancouver opened in September 1997 in response to a study reporting that British Columbia had more than 10,000 runaways annually.  

 

The Vancouver Covenant House helps teenagers by providing them with food, clothing, shelter and counseling to the about 1,000 street youth in Vancouver.

 

I chose this because Bayle, who is working with me, already has some knowledge about it and I feel I can connect to it because Covenant House helps teenagers who are around my age.  I also think it is not fair to leave kids homeless just because they were born to a bad family.  I hope that if I had that problem, someone would help me.

 

To support this organization young people can volunteer in the kitchens or other things they need help with.  They can also help out with some of the safer teenagers in the Covenant House.  You can also donate old clothes and games that you aren’t using.  You can just be friendly and nice to a person your age to try and cheer them up and give them support.  Kids can help raise awareness so that other people might help too.

-Sam


No comments: