Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Poetic Devices and More

When I first read this poem I thought it was about Siamese twins, but then I realized it was about 2 friends breaking apart and going in different directions. It took me 3-4 readings until I fully realized what the poem meant. Some metaphors I found were: -"Practically Triplets," because they were so close, that they were like triplets, however not actually triplets (title and various other places). -"A long and painful surgery," because it's so hard to go different ways than a friend that you know very well, and you probably will not get over it for a very long time (line 6). There was no similes. Some sensory images were: -"Your tiny, stylish bikinis," (lines 9/10) -"Green flowered suit," (lines 12/13) -"Shoe-flinging game on the swings," (lines 17/18) -"Crayon faces, mismatched and lopsided," (lines 30/31). Awesome alliteration was: -"Looked nothing like," (line 32) -"We were," (lines 2 and 39) -"When we," (line 19). The poem was free verse, had 7 stanzas, and 41 lines. Most of the stanzas had 6 lines, however some had 1-2. The lines structure was mid-sized, however did vary.

-Bram S.

No comments: