Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hey Mr. G this is Sari and Galia's tikkon olam project.

The Lipstick Brigade

I wash my hair every day, I clean my body every day and I brush my teeth every day twice a day. Imagine not being able to wash your hair, to clean your body or even to brush your teeth. You might not realize it but in this world there are people who can’t afford these simple cosmetics. The organization I am participating in is called The Lipstick Brigade. The Lipstick Brigade collects cosmetics and donates them to homeless shelters. People can go to the homeless shelter and use the cosmetics, feel good and not be ashamed about the way they look, or unhappy about the way they feel.

I chose this organization because whenever I brush my hair in the morning with a simple brush I feel good about myself and ready for the new day. When I heard about how some people can’t afford simple brushes like mine I didn’t think it was fair because I think it is important for everyone to be able to have personal hygiene. That is why I decided to help out with the Lipstick Brigade.

Young people can help the Lipstick Brigade, by volunteering their time, not by raising money. Two examples of giving their time are: They can help organize, package and distribute the cosmetics donated by other people. They can also help by spreading the word to friends and family, asking them that when they go away to a hotel to bring back the little bottles of shampoo, soap and conditioner. There are many other ways kids can help the Lipstick Brigade. All it takes is a little creative thinking and a few hours.

Galia Horwitz+Sari pullan 6B

No comments: