Tuesday, May 13, 2008

St. Paul's Hospital by Adina

Description of Saint Paul’s Hospital Foundation

The St. Paul's Hospital Foundation raises money to purchase equipment for patients, support research and advance patients care at Saint Paul’s hospital. Saint Paul’s hospital is an academic health science center in downtown Vancouver. Saint Paul’s hospital serves patients from downtown Vancouver, the city of Vancouver and the entire province. Saint Paul’s hospital specializes in five main areas. These are HIV/ AIDS, cardiac disease, renal disease, elder care and mental health. In addition to looking after patients Saint Paul’s hospital is a center for research and medical education. The Saint Paul’s hospital foundation raises money to support all these areas.

I decided to choose Saint Paul’s hospital foundation because I am familiar with the work they perform because my dad works there. Another reason I chose Saint Paul’s is because I wanted to find a way to help people who are ill. I hope that by me helping out at the foundation I can help make a difference in these people’s lives.

At Saint Paul’s kid are not allowed to directly help out with patients for numerous reasons. But there is much more kids can do than helping patients directly. The Saint Paul’s foundation raises money which goes to help patients. In order to do this they have to do a lot of office work. This includes sending mail outs, filing things, phoning people, designing pamphlets and other forms of advertising. Kids can help with all of these activities.

My plan is to volunteer my time there helping them with these fund raising activities. I want to be there to help with what ever they want me to do and I am going to bring work home so I can get even more work done. I am also planning to bake goods and sell them, then give the money to the foundation for them to improve the emergency room which is very old and needs to be renovated.

So far I have already learned a lot about Saint Paul’s hospital ; I know now what they do to help people and what they need to improve on. I am very happy I chose this foundation because I am confident that what they do is very important.

No comments: