Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bubbles

Bubbles

I was on my way home from the courthouse were I had interviewed for a position as first assistant to the judge. I wasn’t at all sure that the judge was impressed by my presentation. I knew I was going to be quite miserable if a whole year of preparation wasn’t going to be good enough to get the job. To make things absolutely worse it was raining on the way back home. Mind you, I’m not talking about a drizzle, I’m talking about rain with a capital R! By the time I came home I was soaked and chilled to the bone. This promised to become one miserable day. I slammed the door behind me, took off my coat, kicked out my brand new but by now solidly ruined leather shoes and ran straight up stairs to the bathroom to take a boiling hot bubble bath! I needed some seriously warm relaxation at the end of this day. Just when I was ready to step into my perfect pinky pink bubbles the phone rang. “Oh darn”, I had to run downstairs to answer the slim black phone on my kitchen counter. Maybe it’s the court. Maybe I got the job! Barely dressed and out of breath I picked up the screaming phone. “Hello….?” “Oh, hi mom.” She always knew when were the best times to call me. “Mom, can I call you back later?”

“Honey, listen to this. The dog just peed on me. He knocked over my china to the floor were it laid there, shattered. The cat scratched the walls including my antique painting from the seventeen hundreds. The bird just flew out of its cage and right into the house next door, you know the one were Lola lives, this horrible lady who never mows her lawn. A coyote ate our bunny and your father is late for dinner again! The doctor told me that I should have an operation for my veins, but with these terrible headaches I can’t take the pressure of going to a hospital. You know your brother hasn’t called me for three days. You know he was never like that before he married that no good wife of his.”

“Mom, how’s the weather in Miami?”

“It’s sunny but I shouldn’t complain, really.”

“Well, thanks for asking, but here it has been raining cats and dogs the whole day! It’s raining so hard, it almost feels as if it were raining inside the house.” Wait a second… raining inside the house? THE BATHTUB!!!